As a parent cooperative school, Medaka no Gakko relies exclusively on its parent volunteers to support the school programs and curriculum. One parent from each family must attend a mandatory orientation meeting and assist in four areas: classroom, committee, maintenance, and support of the Palo Alto Obon Festival. Your efforts are essential to the success of the program and are sincerely appreciated!
Parents’ Orientation Meeting: Tentatively scheduled for Monday, May 22, 7:00 p.m. at the Palo Alto Buddhist Temple. This meeting is mandatory for new and returning families and should be attended by the parent who will fulfill your family commitments. At the meeting, you will confirm your parent co-op duties, receive the school handbook, meet with your child’s teacher, and have initial committee meetings.
Classroom Duties: Parents assist in the classroom at least one day for each child enrolled. Parents may be required to work additional days, up to 2 work days per child. Please be on time (8:30am – 12:45 pm) and no siblings! Parents are preferred in the classroom; but if there is another capable adult in the parent’s place, please contact the Parent Participation Coordinator(s).
Committees: One parent from each family must serve on one of the committees below.
- Arts & Crafts – Prepare materials for classroom projects before the summer session. Projects will be distributed at the orientation meeting in May and must be completed by the first day of session. Projects are detailed in nature and may include sewing, woodworking or other intricate craft work.
- Communications – Attend Medaka events. Write and organize 4 newsletter issues highlighting Medaka no Gakko activities with photographs as well as disseminate important information.
- Photographer – Take daily candid photos and special events photos (special events include: undokai, seniors luncheon, special guest artists, demonstrations and taiko demonstrations). Photos are to be used for newsletters, end of year slide show and the Medaka no Gakko website. Put together the end of year slide show (with music) and show the completed project at the open house.
- Fundraisers – Sell logo items and assist with Heritage Book Fair and other fundraising activities.
- Senior Luncheon – Help purchase, prepare and host the annual luncheon for the Medaka community seniors. Scheduled date is Wednesday, June 28, with food preparation happening the day before. Committee members must work the shifts of both the night before and day of the luncheon.
- End of Session Open House – Assist with planning and pulling together the finale to the summer session to be held Friday evening, July 7. Involves order processing, purchasing obento dinners, Friday morning set-up, serving during the event and clean-up. Committee members must be available the day of the Medaka Open House.
- Special Events – Undokai (Japanese sports day) on Friday, June 23 – Coordinate and facilitate events with classroom parent helpers. Mochitsuki – Organize and oversee the mochitsuki demonstration. Includes recruitment of volunteers and set up the morning of event.
Maintenance: Participate in one maintenance day, either to open or close the school. This involves cleaning classrooms and other facilities, moving tables and chairs, and setting up or taking down the office.
Maintenance I: Opening — Saturday, June 17, 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Maintenance II: Closing — Saturday, July 8, 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Palo Alto Obon Festival: Held August 5-6, 2017 (Saturday & Sunday)
Medaka families must work at the Obon Festival. Families will work 2-3 hour shifts (1 shift per family enrolled) in support of the festival and to show the Buddhist Temple appreciation for use of their facilities. Sign-up will occur at the parents’ orientation meeting on May 22 (Monday).